Iseo Lake and the mountains of Val Camonica offer a fantastic range of outdoor sports. From skiing, mountain biking and climbing to wakeboarding, sailing and kite surfing, there is something for everyone.
The main local resorts are listed below. Times and distances are from Iseo.
- Ponte di Legno / Tonale (1 hour 46 mins / 96 km) - An historic ski resort (a first world war cannon still sits on an isolated ridge at 3200m). 100km of pistes between 1250m and 3020m. See http://www.adamelloski.com for more details.
- Montecampione (49 mins / 40 km) - A small ski station, great for children. 50km of pistes between 1350m and 1850m. See www.montecampione.it for more details.
- Aprica (1 hour 45 mins / 92 km) - Good skiing and snowboarding facilities for all skill levels. 50km of pistes between 1150m and 2300m. See www.apricaonline.com for more details.
Although not as windy as Lake Garda, Lake Iseo is the ideal size for a day out and Monte Isola's lakeside restaurants make for a perfect rest stop.
The hills around Iseo offer some fantasic downhill routes and mountain biking trails only 5min out of the village. The gentle hills of Franciacorta also offer tranquil surroundings away from cars and traffic. Find more information about bike hire.
Kite surfing is growing and it is not uncommon to see a groups of sails catching the morning or evening winds. Pop into the Bull Cafe to chat with local kite surfers.
There are a number of excellent climbing spots less than 30min drive from Iseo.
- Magdalena - the mountain that looks directly down on the city of Brescia features some excellent climbing and great views of the city.
- Caionvico - a convenient and pleasent climbing area only 10min from Bresica.
- Predore - a delightful cliff with a wide range of grades. Accessed by a 5min walk from the main lake road on the Bergamo side about 4 km north of Predore.
- Crocce di Marone - these dramatic cliffs and peaks contain a number of bolted areas. By far the most spectacular is the "Arc" (more information to follow).
The surronding hills are full of spectacular walks of varying levels. There are ridge walks, forest trails and lakeside strolls. My favourites are:
- Sentiero dell Gatt - a short walk out of Iseo village, this charming hike follows the river up through the woodland, pools and waterfalls.
- Torbiere - the peat bog natural reserve makes for an ideal gentle stroll. Choose between 2km, 3km and 6km versions of the circuit.
- Punta Almana - an imposing peak that looks down on Monte Isola with arguably the best views of the lake. Start walking from Sulzano or Sale Marasino or further up the hillside at ... for an easier hike.
A number of clubs operate on the lake, taking people out on the flat evening lake before they head into town for an aperitivo.
Book a Hotel
Find and book a hotel in the Iseo region.